Chiswick is a large suburb of West London, located within the London Borough of Hounslow. The area is situated on a stretch of the River Thames that is popular with rowers – and the finishing post for the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race is just downstream of Chiswick Bridge.
The name Chiswick (which is Old English in origin and means “cheese farm”) was first recorded during the 11th century. During the 19th and 20th centuries, the area was popular as a country retreat, and as such is home to many grand properties.
Despite having a vibrant, bustling town centre, Chiswick has managed to retain a village feel and old world charm. Chiswick High Road has an excellent range of quirky independent stores and boutiques alongside well-known high street names. The Old Cinema sells antique and retro furniture and homewares within an iconic converted cinema.
Chiswick has been described as a food lover’s paradise with Michelin-starred restaurants, La Trompett and Hedone, as well as an array of gourmet pubs, luxury delicatessens and cafes. Turnham Green Terrace has an array of top class foodie suppliers including high class butcher, fishmonger, grocer, cheese shop & delicatessen and chocolate shop. Chiswick House Cafe, located within the beautiful grounds of Chiswick House has been voted one of Time Out Magazine’s best park cafes. There is a weekly famers’ market held each Sunday at Dukes Meadows.
Property in Chiswick
Set on the river, Chiswick is affluent, leafy and green, making it a desirable location for property hunters. It’s easy to forget that such a tranquil idyll is located less than 30 minutes from Central London! The area has a varied mix of property from the renowned Norman Shaw-designed Bedford Park houses to the pretty cottages on the Glebe Estate and of course the delightfully picturesque homes at Strand-on-the-Green directly on the Thames. Chiswick Mall further east has some historic and imposing period properties overlooking the river.
The River Thames at Chiswick
There are plenty of year-round activities and attractions to be enjoyed along this stretch of the River Thames. Some highlights include:
- Chiswick Pier, the home of Chiswick RNLI, supporting major river events and organising Thames related talks
- Stand Up Paddleboarding based at Kew Bridge
- Duke’s Meadow, a beautiful area of parkland set on the river banks
- The Strand-on-the-Green pubs, historic watering holes that sit at the water’s edge
- The boat race
Transport in Chiswick
- Chiswick railway station to Waterloo (30 mins)
- Chiswick Park, Gunnersbury and Turnham Green tubes station to Victoria (20 mins)
- Regular bus services include the 190 to Richmond, the 24-hour 94 to Piccadilly Circus and the 267 to Hammersmith. There is also a night bus from Aldwych
- Easy access to the M4, M3 and North Circular
riverhomes – Waterside Property Experts in Chiswick
As the largest independent specialist selling and letting riverside properties in the Chiswick W4 area, very few people know the Thames like us. From tide times to local river events and the best waterside restaurants and pubs, riverhomes estate agents have the river knowledge.